Tuesday, July 17, 2007

THE BEST REASON FOR NATURAL HAIR

That would be because of my 7 year old daughter. She's a beautiful little girl with a head full of curly, long hair (except where she and a friend chopped holes in it a couple years ago.) She's absolutely adorable in her afro puffs. Well, we're having hair issues these days. She attends a predominately white school, and I she wants her hair to look like some of the other little girls in her class--long and bone straight. So she likes to go to the hairdresser and get her hair pressed. It's about shoulder lenghth then. She wants it absolutley straight--no curls. Matter of fact, one day, when the hairdresser BUMPED her edges, she threw a major fit. Part of me wanted to wring her neck, the other part just wanted to cry.

And like the rest of us, she does the towel on the head thing sometimes. I understand--I've been there. I understand how images in the media (even of our black stars in their weaved glory) and what she sees around her affect her view of her hair. I try really, really hard to convey to her that her hair is beautiful--short and curly, or long and straight. I tell her that God gave her the hair that she is supposed to have--it's not supposed to look like everyone else's.

So, it dawned on m e one day, how can I, as her Mother and teacher, preach to her about accepting her hair, if I keep coming home with 'fake hair' in mine. I've got to practice what I preach. I'm thinking Sisterlocks will help me do just that.

5 comments:

Ms Stella said...

I have a 10 year old and she also attends a predominately white school. Last year, she wore braid extensions. This summer, we've been experimenting with braids and twists without extensions. It is going very well.

We are challenged with instilling pride and love for their own natural hair in a society that doesn't support the love of kinky/curly hair.

The time has come for our daughters to revel in their God given beauty. They are after all, God's creation!

Maryee said...

Let the church say AMEN!! Glad you want to be a good model and example for your daughter. Blessings to you!

PAYLAR said...

Thanks, ladies. The Lord knows these girls have enough to deal with....

CarmenNC said...

I don't watch tv and I hope I can keep that up whenever I have children. I also hope my sisterlocks will be huge and fluffy enough so me and daughter can have matching afro puffs.

blackrussian said...

Excellent reason - maybe she will be inspired to start locks of her own once she sees how long and beautiful yours get!

Then she can have textured hair that hangs straight and swings and it will be ALL HERS!